The benefits of recycling aluminum
Aluminum is a lightweight metal that’s used in a variety of products from pop cans to space shuttles. It’s strong, durable and resistant to corrosion. In addition, it’s easy to recycle through curbside collection or by bringing it to a local scrap yard. Here’s what you should know about recycling this metal.
Why recycle aluminum?
Recycling has many environmental and economic advantages. Here are seven benefits of recycling aluminum:
1. It reduces your carbon footprint. Recycling aluminum takes 90 to 95 per cent less energy than what’s needed to mine it from ore. The energy savings created by recycling one aluminum can is enough to power a television for three hours.
2. It reduces mining. Mining aluminum is a lengthy process that requires large amounts of electricity, water and other resources. The process emits greenhouse gasses, pollutes the environment and depletes the planet’s natural resources.
3. It’s sustainable. Aluminum is 100 percent recyclable. It can go through the recycling process an unlimited amount of times without losing its structural integrity. Recycling aluminum helps conserve the planet’s natural resources while meeting increasing market demands.
4. It decreases landfill waste. Recycling aluminum keeps it of landfills where it takes an extremely long time to decompose. The average aluminum can, for example, takes 200 to 500 years to decompose.
5. It’s profitable. Recycling aluminum can earn you extra cash. It’s consistently one of the most valuable metals on the market.
6. It helps local communities. Many collection programs recycle aluminum and donate the revenue that’s generated to support local community organizations
7. It creates jobs. Recycling strengthens the aluminum industry. This creates many jobs and helps the local economy.
Where to find aluminum?
There are many sources of aluminum around your home. Don’t limit your recycling efforts solely to pop cans. Here are a few additional places where you can find this valuable metal:
• Window and door frames
• Kitchen utensils
• Food packaging
• Kitchen appliances
• Pots and pans
• Baking trays
• Light fixtures
• Furniture (patio furniture, bed frames, office chairs, etc.)
• Old bicycles
• Cars and car parts
Aluminum recycling in Alberta
General Recycling Industries Ltd. is an eco-friendly scrap yard that offers sustainable aluminum recycling in Edmonton. We’re dedicated to protecting the environment and conserving natural resources. We buy aluminum wires, siding, vehicle rims and more. If you’re looking to sell your aluminum, visit one of our Edmonton locations or contact us today for more information.